Thursday, November 09, 2006

Don't rent your house out to toads

This is a letter that I just wrote to our homies....thought some of my internettys would like to know what's been going on and why I've been so incommunicado. I'm not the same person I was a few weeks ago.

To our Friends and Family,

For some of you this is an update and for others this may be the first you’ve heard of it. On October 24th our home in Portland was essentially destroyed by a fire. They think it started somewhere on the back porch, smoldered for quite some time, then engulfed the entire back of the house in flames. As far as fires go, they say it was a pretty impressive one. It even burned a good part of the apartments next door. The firefighters had it out in less than an hour of their arrival but the damage was still significant. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

Our home is a modest 1899 Victorian with lots of personality and is pretty well known in the neighborhood, especially by those folks that appreciate old houses and the work that we’ve put into her. I’ve included a couple of before and after photos. As you can see from the pictures, this fire meant business.

The good news is that the professionals say that, while it has to be torn down to the studs, we can put her back together again. Our insurance agency has been good to us so far and we’ve been meeting with contractors that can do the work. We’re hoping to find people we can trust because we’ll be overseeing the rebuilding from back in Ireland, and sometimes that can feel like an awful long ways away.

We realize that it’s just a house and that we are still blessed in many ways. We are lucky to have each other and Jezebel and all of our friends and family that have shown us so much support over these last couple of weeks. But it still hurts. We poured so much of ourselves into that house and we loved her in a big big way.

So, when you have a moment, let us know how you’re doing and send us and our home some warm thoughts and good wishes. They’ll be put to good use.

Much Love,

Millicent and Floyd


Labels:

27 Comments:

Blogger Beeb said...

OMG!!! I am so sorry! How hard for you to be so far away. It's so sad about your jewell. I love old houses too and can see she has been well loved.

6:12 AM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

OMGoodness, Millicent! What an incredible loss. Those pictures are heartbreaking. I certainly do understand why you haven't been around a whole lot.

XO

10:21 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

How awful! I'm so sorry to hear about your house. At least the insurance company is being helpful...for a change.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Red Sand said...

I can only imagine what you're going through - the old house experience is a transforming one. Sending lots of recovery thoughts your way.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Katie J said...

Oh, I am so very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful house. You are blessed in many ways, but it also ok to get upset about this. Take care and good luck.

12:51 PM  
Blogger FDChief said...

You know how we feel, darlin's. There are not enough tears to cry for your beautiful home.

As the Peeper would say, "we feel the love" for you and share your hope that your home will rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes.

Chief, Mojo and the Peep

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God! What a lovely house it was, too. I'm so very sorry!

2:29 PM  
Blogger atomic mama said...

Fucking toads!

The news that she can be rebuilt is the best news of all. Good luck with the process, we'll be thinking of you...

4:10 PM  
Blogger walternatives said...

Oh sweetie. I am so so so sorry to learn about your treasured house. I'm sending all the positives that I can muster, KNOWING that your Victorian Queen will rise again, stronger and exactly as you wish her to be. Can you sue the toads?

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no. I had heard about the fire but didn't realize its extent. I am so sorry. A house is so much more than a house, especially when you've brought it into its own. I hope you can move forward with your plans to rebuild and feel okay about this eventually.

Best wishes.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! What a devastating thing. I'm glad that you will be able to rebuild and that the insurance company is being helpful. But geez! I'm sending good thoughts your way.

6:01 PM  
Blogger dreamer said...

I am so sad to hear you are going through this and from so far away too.

If you need anything, just put up a post, we're all here to help.

Good luck.

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nightmare, I'm so sorry. What a beautiful house. I hope rebuilding her will go without too many kinks.

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so so sorry your going through this. I can't even imagine.

We have an old Victorian home, also. We would never want a new home -
I'm sure she'll be restored to her original beauty before very long.

10:16 PM  
Blogger aimeeg said...

I'm so sorry about your home. Best of luck to you.
Aimee (a May DTC'er)

3:15 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I'm so sorry. The photos break your heart. Sending you the best wishes and vibes I've got!

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to see those pictures. You must have been heartbroken. It was (and will be again) a beautiful house.
Stephanie (formally of Forks & Chopsticks

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit! We lost our house in an earthquake and it was awful to look back at. I am sorry!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mamacita said...

OH, what a beautiful house. I'm so sorry! She definitely looked loved. I'm sure she will be back and better than she was in no time.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a tragedy to see the before and after pictures of your beautiful house. The before pictures indeed looked like you had put much love into the house, and I can see why you are so broken up. Sending you good wishes to see that your HOME, not just a house, is rebuilt and gorgeous again as soon as possible.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Whoa! Is this on Belmont in SE? or near Belmont???? The date...the picture....seems like a house one of the other adoptive mamas & I stopped at and cursed how awful it was that it had burned. Believe it had just happened a few days before....is it the same??? Ugh that is SO awful!!! It's such a beautiful house! I hope you will be treated well by the ins. company and be able to get it back together. It's such a beautiful house...

8:13 AM  
Blogger Jessi said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! What a beautiful house.

I'm glad you can rebuild. Thinking of you...

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you! We miss you - hope you're feeling better and will be back soon with sexytime pictures of foreign travel places, yes?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Cavatica said...

OMG, how awful. What a beautiful house it was. I hope you can get it back the way you want it. How difficult from so far away.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made a gorgeous home...good for you for not walking away. It will again be gorgeous, another day. So sorry....

You are a talented jounalist.

8:54 PM  
Blogger EcornerLearning said...

There are many things to consider first when an individual plans to rent a house or property in a certain area. But how? Learn more here

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home