Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My Nickname

In the summer between 5th and 6th grade we moved across town to a different house with a plum tree in the back yard. I was a rough and tumble tomboy and I didn’t have any friends, so I spent the summer weeding the yard and picking the rotten plums off the ground and putting them in a big, black garbage bag (I can still smell that sickly sweet...and I am just now starting to enjoy plums again). One time my Mom was talking to the little old lady that lived across the alley from us. I don’t know what the context of their conversation was but the little old lady said to my Mom, ”I just thinks it’s so sweet of you to put that little retarded boy to work for you.”

And my Mom said,”You mean my daughter?”

So my family likes to call me “the little retarded boy”...and I don’t mind because I like the story.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Katie J said...

My hubby and I are having a good laugh over this one, "LRB".

3:36 AM  
Blogger FDChief said...

OMFG...

You can bet that Sheadon will have to hear THIS one when you come visit in November...

Looking forward to it.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Pink Velvet Mommy said...

ROFLMAO!! That is hilarious, and so unexpected as I started to read this post. I am not sure I would have been willing to share that story, but bet your family has had plenty of good laughs at your expense. I want to know what you mom replied back to the old woman??
Now that is some funny stuff!

4:40 PM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

Little retarded boy? What a double whammy. Hilarious, girl.

Hey, when is the trip to Turkey?

5:27 PM  
Blogger Millicent said...

I never know how to answer questions posted to the blog...but I see other people post their answers like this...so I'll try this. But, Wendy, you have to promise to check back.

Turkey? Yes, we're thinking June next year. One week or two? That's the question. Two is the obvious answer, but we have to consider what places we'd have to give up (I'm not whining-believe me).

5:48 PM  
Blogger M3 said...

Bwah ha ha!!!!! Too funny - that's just the type of thing my family would hang on to for all time also.

4:01 PM  
Blogger CA Momma said...

I can't stop laughing! Thanks!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jessi said...

Dude, that was hilarious! I needed to laugh today, so thank you.

p.s. My nickname is Boogie. Make of it what you will.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Beeb said...

OMG
That made me spew!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home