Thursday, October 19, 2006

A deluge of ramblings and rain

I haven’t changed my clothes all week. Literally. Yoga pants (brown), shelf tank (sky blue), cosy cardigan (sage)...it’s my new uniform. I’d post a pic but it’s pretty nasty at this point. I’ve been working from home and pulling 12-14 hour days all week. In that time I have neglected to shower, do the dishes, cook for my husband, go to the gym (let alone go outside), practice the piano, or anything. at. all for that matter....except hunch over my work laptop. From the time I wake up....to the time I go to bed. Tippity tapping...tippity tapping...working. THIS is why I may have a hard time keeping my job when I go back home. I don’t know how to give less than everything I am to it, which is a problem even when it’s just Floyd and I. Add a little Thor to the mix and it becomes a very big problem. So, this week in particular, I’m struggling with how I can still do my job and be a good Mom at the same time.

News Flash!!!! Darkness envelops small island in north Atlantic!! Yea....that’d be Ireland. The sun doesn’t poke it’s lazy head above the horizon until about 0730 and, even after it does, it hides behind an impenetrable cloud cover. No sun. Darkness. And it’ll be this way for the next...hmm...7 months or so. And then we add the rain on top of that. This morning I woke up and thought “my, that’s quite a wind storm out there” but then I noticed the leaves weren’t moving. It was the sound of a million tiny raindrops smacking the crap outta those leaves. The skies opening up. A deluge. And Floyd (who has lost over 13 lbs since we got back from Croatia – round of applause please) was riding his bike to work....happily. He’s like that. Maybe this is the winter I’ll read Ulysses.

This season is marked by giant spiders in the bathtub (or in Guiness glasses as the case may be), eating oatmeal with fresh apples and cinnamon, mushrooms in the grass (have you ever seen so many 'shrooms?), muddy cows, Jezebel leaving muddy footprints all over my work, comfy sweaters, wool socks, my big black boots (hmmmm...which pair?), robins singing, wellies, crabapples falling and leaves bunching up around the doorways. Oh, and rain, and darkness.

I don’t think I know of anybody getting a referral in this next round...which makes me sad. Because I loves me some referrals. Seriously. I could almost punctuate our wait by referrals. Months (or years) just sound so tedious. Maybe if we could think of the wait like “we’ve got 24 rounds of referrals before we get our little Thor!” Yea, whatever. But, seriously, I enjoy seeing the new pictures and reading the blogs of the excited parents. It’s even better when you’ve been following the family’s adventures before the referral and you get to see how their lives, their blog, their personalities completely change once they get their referral. It’s amazing. So if any of y’all know of any good bloggies getting their referral this next round, lemme know. Hook a brutha up.

We’re off to Prague-Bratislava-Budapest in a few days. I haven’t thought about the trip. At. All. (I really hate those little punctuated words, but they work so well for bloggy speak.) I’ve heard that Prague is a beautiful city and that Budapest is right up there as well. I also know that a lot of people don’t know where Bratislava is...including me. I know that it will be cold there and that there are spas with big women that like to pummel you with their fists and firehoses....and you will pay them to do so. I’m looking forward to the trip. I’ve begun keeping a travel diary, which really helps if you have the memory of a gnat.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're travelling, too, you little rascal. Visiting the grands here in Mass. - I'm typing this on the library computer in Barnstable while Mojo checks the adoption blogs. Let's hope the heathen Chinee post more than 8/24, eh?

Miss you and Floyd. Looking forward to seeing you in Nov.

J

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi J,
We are in the Barnstable,MA library on vacation. (Can't post and email so am using comments section.) It's not Croatia, but the plane ride was shorter. Did you get a call asking to reference me for a job? Well I got it, the job that is, and start in a few days at Miller Nash in Vancouver. Full time, so quite an adjustment, but they seem like a good group and the commute can't be beat. Day care and deadlines, here we come. Oh yeah and a paycheck looks attractive from where I sit, so there's the adoption money!
The spider on your website scared me from across the globe. Can't you train Jezebel to hunt them for you? I don't know anyone getting a referal this round. We went to a special needs China seminar last month in Portland, and during the break noticed one of our friends in the audience. He is DTC this month, Rob is a geologist in PDX, so the world yet again revolves around adoption.
We are enjoying 2 days without Sheadon, he's with the grands, so it's a nice break for us.
Ta for now
Deb

5:03 PM  
Blogger walternatives said...

Prague? Oh, if you have time, please try to go to Karlovy Vary and Český Krumlov. I have no idea what either town is like now, but they were magical in 1992! Bon voyage, good woman! I hope that you are considering changing clothes before getting on the plane...

8:07 PM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

So, you're still trying to finish Ulysses?? I finally let my copy go this summer. I held onto that thing for about 20 years. Good luck to you.

Sorry, but I just can't muster up too much sympathy for the spiders, hygiene limitations, the darkness, mud & raindrops. Girl, you've got PRAGUE. Prague, baby.

Promise you'll post pics.....

PS - I hope that you get what R2D2 needs/wants from you wrapped up so you can start getting excited about PRAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Mamacita said...

I couldn't find how to email you, but I jumped on your blog. Nicely done, not hating, just really jealous. I had to say we were in PANICALE! That's really close to Paciano, where John almost got the car stuck. We ate dinner at a very small, hole in the wall restaurant. I have a picture of Lina out in the square in front of the tiny well/fountain.

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeewwwww! Blech! My skin is crawling and I feel like such a baby, but I could barely read what you said about, uhm, travel or mushrooms or something because I was Soooooo bothered by the big daddy spider. Yew! I guess it's only fair that you have to deal with those when you're "home", since you get to do all the traveling.

I read another comment and she mentioned Karlovy Vary. That was the other town I wanted to tell you about. Go there and take "the cure" (mineral water that is rank) and get stone roses and visit the rooftop pool and drink their signature liquor that tastes HEAVILY of herbs and is called...I can't remember. Really though, do all that. And bring me some of the liquor.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The liquor is called Becherovka. The spa is called Carlsbad.

E

4:06 AM  
Blogger atomic mama said...

I've got a 3 year old bottle of Becherovka in my freezer that a friend brought back... tastes like tree bark. The Becherovka website is hilarious. Hope you're having a great time. And love the mushroom photos, but the way!

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those 'shrooms are to die for (hopefully, not literally!)...really, the old nursery rhyme about cockle bells came to mind....

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes changing clothing means losing a good memory. I remember holding on to a lot of clothes, just because they had a good smell of the week. I know, totally gross.

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeewwww, you with the clothes-that-stand-up-by-themselves! Oh, who am I kidding? I would do that too if my hair wouldn't turn into a Crisco helmet after 36 hours. As for work balanced with taking care of a child, you'll figure that out as you go along. What once seemed extremely important to you will not have the same pull as it used to, and things will end up working themselves out much easier than you might think right now, wallowing in the middle of your work-driven stink. Your life will change, and all of sudden, you will have not taken a shower all week because of the baby. On second thought, maybe your life won't be THAT different.... hehehe

Hope your trip was great and a much needed relaxation after your crazy work week. Looking forward to reading all about it~

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home