Sunday, August 13, 2006

What was your first...?

Now, now...get your mind out of the gutter people! I’m talking about your first baby thing...the first little thing that you went out and bought for your baby-to-be. Wzgirl wisely suggested a “round robin” so that we could learn about what other folks have deemed worthy of “their first". Great idea!

There was a comment over on the NO that really summed it up for me (duh, do I have a post where I don't reference the NO? Shhno). Cagey said...”For me, the clothes was not about the CLOTHES, it was about imagining my baby boy actually IN THEM. This isn't some shallow thing about dressing up babies like dolls. It's about having a tangible object in your possession that helps to make it real for you. Because with adoption or pregnancy, it is hard to wrap your brain around it.”

Ain’t that the truth?

I know there’s some folks out there that started shopping for their baby-to-be around, oh like 9th grade, while others wait until after they get their referral (or give birth...“post family-expansion” shall we say), and there may be some that even wait until they get to China (you can’t beat the prices!).

And I’ll also bet that not every “first” was clothing. Maybe it was a stroller? Anti-fungal cream? A kids book? Whatever it was, we’d love to hear about it. How have you commemorated, and made a little bit of commitment to, that twinkle in your eye? And if you haven’t bought a thing yet (and don’t plan to until you get a call from their school) we’d love to hear about that as well.

So, what was it folks? Do tell!

Logistics: You could either leave your story in the comments section or you could post your story on your blog...but then let us know to go over there by leaving a comment. Or...whatevuh. I just thought it would be cool to make a list (or maybe a powerp*int presentation with charts and graphs ;0)).

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Katie J said...

Our first purchase was this star:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4979/2199/640/IMG_0945.jpg

We didn't know how we were going to decorate the nursery, but that star was the focal point. Thanks for asking, it has me thinking. I might have to do a post about this one. One of the things it made me think of at the time was the song "Little St*r" by M*donna. It was also red, which made us think of China. Oh, such great memories. It was B.B. (before Buttons) and it seems like a lifetime ago. Now when we sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" she points to it and says "stah".

3:55 PM  
Blogger Katie J said...

Oops, sorry about that. Here's my post about the nursery with a picture of the star.

http://mayleebeezir.blogspot.com/2006/08/nursery.html

3:58 PM  
Blogger Beeb said...

My first was a rug for the room. I love it and will post it on my blog at some point.
http://www.dashnalbertrugs.com/kaffe.html
That's the link to the rug site. I bought the Field of Flowers pattern. I still love it - it makes me smile every day. Since I haven't cleaned up the room I'm moving into and still reside in what will be Moonbeam's room. I get to see it everyday and may have trouble giving it up.

12:34 AM  
Blogger FDChief said...

Sadly, what it makes me think of is painting Bryn's bedroom, and the cartoon giraffe we made for her on the pillar surrounding the flue. We loved that giraffe. I cried the whole time I painted over it.

1:30 AM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

Hey, friend ~ Here is my take on the "first" round' robin. Thanks for organizing. XO, WZ

PS - Is this how it works? Hope so.....

http://buttercupinchina.blogspot.com/2006/08/first-flower.html

4:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi there,
I am Wendy's friend Laura, who is adopting for the 2nd time from Russia. We have requested a girl this time. I did buy her a pair of pants already, but now that we are officially in the wait game (as of 7/28/06), my friend had given me her daughters clothes that she grew out of, and going through the box, made it feel more real!! So, here is a photo of one of the items in one of the bags. I can't wait until my daughter can wear this!
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3199/3568/1600/P8131032.jpg
Laura

3:45 PM  
Blogger Millicent said...

Hey Laura! Thanks for your post...but I can't link to the pic. Can you try again? I wanna see!

And congratulations on beginning the official wait (it's gotta start somewhere). I'm curious as to how long you expect your wait to be.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sorry Millicent!
Maybe this will work better? http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3199/3568/1600/P8131032.jpg
If not, you can see some of the clothes at:
confessionsofarussianadoption.blogspot.com
Can you tell I am a Sophie Kinsella fan? Ha ha
thanks for the congrats! We have been told we will wait about 12 months! So different this time. 3 years ago, once our dossier was finished we were referred our son in days!
oh well,at least I have him. I feel so bad for those who are waiting for their first.
Laura

4:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ok, i see it is cutting this part out!
8131032.jpg
goes directly after the P
sorry,
Laura

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first purchase was an outfite from Icky Baby. I just loved it.

3:13 PM  
Blogger atomic mama said...

My "first" was two toddler dresses made by Construction for All. There's a link back at the ranch:

http://atomicmom.blogspot.com/2006/02/
atomic-talk.html

I love those tartans!

11:34 PM  
Blogger FDChief said...

Check out Deb's adorable pink over at GFT.

Oh, and I luuuurve the goofy little bunny jacket.

Sigh.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hey Millicent!!

It's me, the crazy person who offers up translated documents to desperate women!!! LOL!

Kieren's first shopped item was a soft, stuffed, hot pink, floppy cow. My son and I went shopping and bought two of them. You have to have a back-up, trust me on this! We named it MoooShu Beef. Yeah, I know. We're sick people.

Man! That was over 2 years ago!!! Holy cow!! LOL!

Sam
http://samcampbell.blogspot.com

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home