Thursday, August 10, 2006

First.....tartan?

We’ve got these great friends back home that are about five months ahead of us on the China adoption path. Like us, they were excited and apprehensive about buying their “first pink”. I know...”first pink” sounds kind of...not so innocent, but that was their name for the first thing they were going to buy for the twinkle-in-their-eye, baby girl from China....and it stuck. First pink. They already have a boy (i.e. lots of blue stuff) so I think they were looking forward to (and apprehensive of) buying that first, cute little pink dress. First pink.

I can’t speak for them, but for me, buying things for a baby that is still just a dream is a serious commitment to faith. Obviously, we’re already committed to the idea of having a baby. We’re so there. Rather, it means a commitment to faith in the adoption process. Now, for folks like us, who have tried other ways of starting a family, and failed (again and again and again), this commitment can be a very difficult one to make. Let’s just say trust is a little hard to come by at this stage. I don’t want to start buying things for Thor, only to find out that WHOOPS China has decided to close their doors on us...or whatever.

But we’ve recently watched other folks get their referrals and seeing those beautiful, baby faces for the first time, and feeling the excitement of those new parents, well, it gives you some faith.

So, on our trip to Scotland we bought this. First tartan. Momma and Thor matching tartan at that. Man oh man...I never thought I’d see the day. It felt sooooo goooood. When we were standing in line at the cashier I just wanted to yell, “I BELIEVE!!!” at the top of my lungs....but I didn’t. So, I’m imagining Thor with the “kilt”, a cool, black t-shirt, and some black converse. I will, of course, be wearing mine with black boots.

I know, I know...it’s not pink. But it is the first. And that’s what counts.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger wzgirl said...

I'm so proud of you. First tartan, yes. And, I can so totally see Thor rockin' the flippy skirt with black converse. Excellent. For once, they made a big girl size. Lucky you......

10:59 AM  
Blogger FDChief said...

Great minds...

Check out the GFT for a preview of what your significant other and Thor might look like in their skirts.

Imagine more hair, though...

On the heads, dammit!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Beeb said...

Congratulations! A big and hearty step. Just a warning - these little items have a way of calling you to come look at them - again.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Project Ni Hao said...

Woooohooo for first outfits. And I like first tartan better than first pink. Goes with the black converse so much better!

- Melissa / http://melissasstories.typepad.com/nihao

5:12 PM  
Blogger Katie J said...

Oooh, a bit teary here. How exciting! I totally remember that moment and it feels a little bit like getting in a cool pool on a hot day. It feels good, but also a bit scary. Congrats!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

BTW, I too have a LID in May - 5/18/06 to be exact!

1:59 PM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

Millie - What do you say we do a "round robin" and see what everyone elses' "first-fill-in-the blank" is/was?

1:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, hello. Of course I LOVE the tartan! My mother and I had matching tartan's from Scotland and I thought we were the coolest when wearing them together. Now you'll have to learn to sew and make a matching outfit for Barbie, too (0:
Thinking of starting a blog but can't think of just the right title. baby stealer? IVFinator? OCDecorator? So many choices in my crazy nogin.
Looking forward to reading more about my SIL Millicent, hubby Flloyd, and their baby to be Thor. Love the names by the way.............

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home