Monday, July 31, 2006

It Can Really Happen!

Whew. What a day! And it’s not even really OUR day...it’s somebody else’s day. In fact, it’s somebody we don’t even know, but we feel like we know them. I’ve been following The Naked Ovary for about six months now. Her ramblings and musings during her wait for her daughter in China have made me smile and grumble and laugh...and sob on many occasions. And, Lord, how this woman has waited. I can fully appreciate why she intends to blow-dry her hair and wear pointy shoes when she goes to China. After what she's been through, shit, she could wear a fekkin' tutu in China and I'd still give her the nod. I like her...even though I don’t know her.

And today she (finally) became a Mom. I didn’t run my errands today because I couldn’t leave the computer for that long (well, that, and I needed to take a two-hour nap). Me, and thousands of other women, were glued to their computers...waiting for Karen to become a Mom. It was surreal. Go check out her posts from today and pay attention to the number of comments she was getting with each one. Seriously, the world was watching. I was so anxious and excited I had something like a mongoose running around in my stomach. And then it happened. I swear there was an audible gasp, a universal gasp, when she finally posted... “WE HAVE A DAUGHTER!!!!”. We all held our breath while we read the details of Maya. And then the universe could finally breathe again.

Whew.

So, it really happens. I mean, this is a big deal! Families really are made through this process, and arms that were once so heavy with emptiness, can now grow strong by carrying a child, their child...our child. This is huge!

I’m sure you’re thinking, “Uh, yea...duh...” But, you see, waiting for your baby through adoption is VERY different from being pregnant. When you’re pregnant, you’ve got a baby growing inside of you. You’ve got this thing, a bump, that you can rub, and sing to, and other people can point to, and it’s real. With adoption, you have a dream, you have a promise, a “contract” (and, actually, we're the only ones that have signed anything. Our agency and China have made no real obligations to us...gulp), and you have the stories and experiences of the families that have gone before you. This is VERY different from having the bump. And, because of that, it sometimes seems less...real. And that can be scary.

But it’s made a little less scary, and a little more tangible, when people like Karen, and all those other families that have gone before us, share their experiences with us. It helps us realize that it can happen. That there is a light at the end of the tunnel. That there is hope. That we will have a baby someday. And that maybe, just maybe, it might be safe to go out and buy Thor a little dress with flowers on it. Maybe....

So what’re you doing over here??? Go check out The Naked Ovary! Oh...and check out Sophie's video while you’re at it. Made me cry like a baby.... What a day.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger FDChief said...

Hi DD,
My kleenex box has been stacked for my websurfing tonight and tomorrow. I will be getting high on other people's referrals! After the crying, I will fulfill my evil quest to find the ugliest baby. My theory is that nobody knows if their kid is ugly. Anyway, it will take the sting out of my jealousy, like watching the miss america pageant and saying "that one has beady little pig eyes."
Mojolicious
PS - IF ,when the day finally arrives, I do get referred a breathtakingly ugly child, please lie to me and say she's gorgeous. I suspect I won't know any better myself.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Katie J said...

DD,
Howdy, I just found your blog. I've been reading Karen's blog for a long time and I can't believe the day is finally here! Good luck with the wait, I know it can be very brutal.

1:09 AM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

I feel ya, Millicent. Absolutely. It is going to be so real someday - and, if you're feeling anything like I am, it feels "realer" with every story I hear and with every passing month.

Go on - buy Thor a little somesin' somesin' - just something wee.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home