Friday, July 21, 2006

Don't Worry Mom

We won’t be naming her Thor. Not that that’s a bad name. Floyd (darling husband’s nom de blog) was almost named Thor....seriously. You see, I wanted to pick a nom de blog for the little twinkle in our eyes. Something cute and pretty like Bunny, or Pumpkin (what Mom called me) or Jennifer Aniston. But then there were the....boy referrals (gasp). Yep, there were a few referrals last month of beautiful little baby boys....to parents that had not “requested” boys. It had the Chinese adoption community all a-twitter. So that got us thinking. What if little Jennifer Aniston turned out to be a boy? With that in mind I decided to butch it up a bit.

And, then, there’s the fact that we may be waiting a loooooong time and a lot can happen in that length of time. Importantly, I could get fed up with the wait and decide to go someplace else for our little angel. So, that leaves out the China-centric names, like Panda or Ladybug (ugh) or Little Empress (now, if you know me, you may know that I couldn’t go this route anyway).

But I think the biggest factor at play here is that I have a weird sense of humor. You see, I really like the whole God of Thunder thing. I mean, that’s what our little ray of light will be....right? All-powerful, smiting their enemies (with a keen wit instead of hammers of thunder, of course), and saving the planet...regardless of whether they’re a boy or girl, Asian or white, black or purple. (Although some Thors decide to forgoe the whole saving of the earth thing and just become Legendary Rock Warriors. That's their choice.)

Floyd’s still a little uncomfortable with the nom de blog, but he’s a scientist and prone to being pretty literal (as am I), but this is for fun. He wanted to know if this would be, like, a real nickname...like would we call her this when we get her (or him)? Hmmmm....Maybe when she’s screaming at the top of her lungs in the midst of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (see below), I could gaze at her lovingly and say, "awwww.....are you my Thor, my little God of Thunder?" I mean, really, doesn’t it make you smile...just a little?

P.S. Please don’t tell me you can’t take your babies to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale...please.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger FDChief said...

But the best part would be the thing where you're REEEEEALLY mad at her. Not the yelling, get-yer-ass-to-the-dinner-table-right-now-young-lady mad but the smouldering, slow burn, your ass is grass and I'm the lawnmower kind of mad, when your eyes get all slitty and you growl:

"Thor Sieglinde Friedeundfreiheit Miller..."

12:46 AM  
Blogger M3 said...

I have it on good authority that babies are more than welcome at any Nordstrom sale. ;-)

2:28 AM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

I saw LOADS of babies at the Nordies Anniversary sale. And, they arrived on foot, in Bjorns & double-wide strollers. Thor will fit in perfectly.

5:51 PM  
Blogger FDChief said...

One thing that's got me wondering...

How come there's never a Goddess of Thunder?

2:16 AM  
Blogger Millicent said...

I'm sure if they were to ever re-post the position they'd have to be gender neutral. WANTED: God/Goddess of Thunder...In fact, with all the regulations these days, the job just wouldn't be the same. Like that thing he did with the dwarf...yea, that just wouldn't fly these days.

8:59 AM  
Blogger FDChief said...

Dunno. If you can TOSS a dwarf, I'd say the field is still pretty open.

But you'd have to be drunk at the time, to meet the OSHA requirements.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home