Friday, July 28, 2006

Color Fuh-reak

I am a color fuh-reak. Did you know there are more shades of green than any other color? Well that’s what the paint store guy told me when I went in there for the third day in a row. When we painted our bedroom a couple of years ago I went through 17 shades of green before I picked the right one. Fortunately (or unfortunately – depending on your perspective), this paint store lets you rent quarts of paint before you're ready to commit. I would come home with my new shades and paint them on big pieces of paper then hang them on the bedroom wall so I could see how the colors changed with the light. It amazes me when people can just paint a room (or their house!) based on those tiny, little swatches. That’s so. not. fuh-reaky.

So, for the two of you that have visited this blog more than once, you may have noticed that I’ve been going through some color changes in the last couple of days. I was really happy with the first colors. Nice, earthy green background, bold print, etc. But then Floyd pointed out the links in the text were hard to see...ack!..., which led to a complete overhaul. During the overhaul I realized the colors were different, sometimes very different, depending on the computer. The nice earthy green on my laptop was an icky, dirty chartreuse on the desktop. Most (normal) people wouldn’t have really noticed (and certainly wouldn’t have cared)...but now I was obsessed. I quickly found out the nice antique white on one computer, was light pink on the other...pink on one was a weird salmon on the other...now I’m really (color) fuh-reakin.

I learned a lot about myself this afternoon when I took a glimpse into the proverbial mirror and saw myself surrounded by, at one point, four computers (all with different interpretations of the colors). In the midst of the frenzy, I realized I had hit bottom. So, I took a deep breath, gave myself up to a higher power, and went with the white background (which still looks like light pink on one computer). If you liked me better with the earthy green background, well that’s fine, it was good times, but please respect my decision to go colorless. It’s better for me in the long run.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger FDChief said...

So How the Frig did you manage to avoid a major coronary over your house painting? That was like a zillion colors, and may I say, looks fab.
Mojolicious (not J)

2:07 AM  
Blogger Millicent said...

Dear Mojolicious - Thanks for your comment and your compliment. BTW...I did have a coronary. But when other folks in the neighborhood copied our paint job, it made the coronary worth it. Heh.

8:53 AM  
Blogger FDChief said...

I gotta say - I liked the funkadelic earth tones...but I am a dirt guy by profession, so that is unsurprising.

I don't know why, but we went to breakfast yesterday (had fun watching the Pea hoover his pancakes) and out of the clear blue, I thought: damn, this would have been fun to share with Jen and Eric.

So we miss you guys, is what I'm saying.

J (the real J, this time)

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure this is nuts, but I just dont like wearing green. I will wear the baby puke green but that is about it.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home