Thursday, February 22, 2007

Edinburgh - Top Five Fave

Floyd and I were in Edinburgh over the weekend with our good friend Pamela Anderson. Yes, THE Pamela Anderson. Floyd knows her from graduate school. Did you know she has a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry. Well she does, and she’s fun to boot! Vivacious, witty, smart...always got career advice for Floyd. You’d never imagine it would you? One more reason to never judge a book by its cover. So we were kicking it in Edinburgh this weekend and these are just five things that lifted my kilt...





1. It’s in Scotland. Let’s get something straight right off the bat. I LOVE Scotland. If somebody asked, “Hey, do you want to live in this tiny shack on this windswept highland hill in the midst of all these sheep?”...I think I’d say yes. I love the people (even dullards seem to have a sparkle in their eye), the landscape (breathtaking at almost every turn), the attitude (somber yes, but you’ll still get smiles on a cloudy day). I realize that these things are all part of the tiresome Scottish branding, but there’s a reason for that. They're true. And then there’s the little things that can make such a difference (this is the part where you need to remember where I currently live). Scotland has an infrastructure that you can depend on, they have rubbish bins at logical locations (oh, here she goes...), they have roads that you can drive on, as well as safe pedestrian areas, they have signs (yes, I know, actual street signs...it’s heavenly) and, in general, people appear to care about the environment that they live in...and...and...(the veins in my temple are becoming engorged and are pulsating rapidly). I could go on but it would just lead to dangerous and passionate territory. Suffice it to say that Ireland and Scotland are quite different and I can appreciate those differences.


2. The people have Scottish accents. Some have described it as “thick-tongued” but I disagree wholeheartedly. Sure, there’s the drunk gal from the tenements that could make you tilt your head a bit, but that's the exception. I find it lilting and full of character. They actually do say “wee”. (Overheard while walking down the street...a couple of young lads passed a gal in a VERY short skirt. As they turned to watch her go, one of them said, “That was a wee one...”)







3. Men in kilts. I must have a thing for knees because I’m very appreciative of the kilt. I certainly appreciate its regional significance and all that but, frankly, that’s not what makes me smile. I don’t even care what they’re wearing underneath. Floyd would undoubtedly rock a kilt (the mans got gams) and I’d love to get him into one of those utilikilts, but no. Not gonna happen. I can understand though, because some of the dudes that wear them...look really stupid. It certainly requires a certain “je ne sais quoi” that not everybody possesses. I think Floyd's got it, but maybe he's just not ready for that much...freedom. So I appreciate the kilt from afar.


4. The sound of bagpipes. I know, I’m just listing off all the highlights from a Scotland brochure but, I’m telling you, there’s a reason why these things are used to lure people here. They’ve certainly got my number. I have a sad affinity to the sound of the bagpipe. It always makes me cry. I don’t know when it started because it’s just always been this way. I was once sitting at a great British pub in Portland and a parade of bagpipers began to make their way through the place. I remember being overcome with emotion at the first notes. It hits me like that. Very suddenly. So, I'm at this bar and I hear that unmistakable high-pitched drone and I feel a pang in my heart. Then all sorts of forgotten sadness starts welling up and bubbling out. And then I’m a crying mess. I’ve learned to control it a little better but I always have to fight back the tears when I hear a bagpipe. My Mom just recently told me that she cries at the sound of bagpipes too. What’s up with that?


5. OK, you can all guess what No. 5 is. What’s the only thing I haven't mentioned from the Scotland brochure? That’s right. Haggis. This was our 3rd trip to Scotland and I’ve managed to avoid it thus far, but Floyd felt the inspiration and suddenly there was a pile of it sitting on our table (along with neeps and tatties of course). You have to remember that this is the guy that was a vegetarian up until 18 months ago. I admire him for it. He still respects the animal enough to believe that, if you’re going to eat it, you should eat the whole thing. Don’t let anything go to waste. I believe that too...intellectually. However, when faced with an unusual animal bit, I generally pass. So here’s Floyd swooning over his haggis. It’s his first and he’s LOVing it. So I do a dainty dive with the tip of my fork and...down the hatch. Hm. Tasty. Surprisingly tasty actually. And it didn’t even feel gross in my mouth like I thought it would. Kind of like a spicy bulgar/oatmeal thing. I just educated myself about what it’s actually made out of and, you know what? I’d still eat it again.

Of course Pamela thought it was all quite disgusting and immediately began strategizing her anti-haggis campaign.


So that was my brain dump of the kilt-lifting, top-five fave for Edinburgh. What did you learn about Edinburgh? Nothing I’m afraid, which is a shame because it’s really a great city. One of the best we’ve been to in Europe. Cool castle, well-preserved and amazing architecture, photo ops galore, friendly folks, monuments to cute little dogs, some amazing food. Lots of old world charm without the shit-shit and kitsch. Really a great place. Go there and see for yourself.



Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Mmmm, nice.

2:01 PM  
Blogger walternatives said...

I want to be you.

Lovely, lovely pictures. Scotland is one of my favorite countries. I was there a few years ago, in October, for a castle wedding; the grooom is Scottish. There were kilts galore (required for both sides of the wedding party!) AND bagpipes but no haggis. I'm longing to go back.

2:04 PM  
Blogger 4D said...

Looks absolutely lovely!

Wish I were there...

Keep smilin!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Mamacita said...

Wow, I was gonna say what walternatives said, but instead I'll say, clearly, lassie, you need someone to shuttle you around and carry your bags and such. Scotland is definitely on my short list. You are a great photographer by the way.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Katie J said...

Holy Bagpipes Batman! I want to go there too!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Scotland, too! And I love men in kilts (mmmm, man legs.) And I ALWAYS cry at bagpipes.
I didn't try haggis when we were there, but I did appreciate the whiskey and shortbread.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Beeb said...

The bagpipes thing...yep I'm a victim too. A guy used to practice his pipes under a bridge near my old apartment every Sunday morning and it was glorious - there is something about the bagpipe that makes your heart swell and the tears flow. the most recent loss of control of the tear ducts happened on Thanksgiving when I was doing the "turkey trot" a local run/walk on T'gvng morn. We rounded a corner and 4 of 'em were filling the air - I lost it and sobbed to the finish line! Glad to know it's not only me. (PS - still mighty envious of the travel, but learning to deal with it)

3:18 AM  
Blogger Joelle and Chandler said...

I want to be you, too.
I am so glad you are taking every opportunity to travel!

Scotland is on our list, too.

6:49 AM  
Blogger CA Momma said...

Oh, Oh, Oh, one of my faves too. I went to a church service while I was there and young man got up and spoke..... Never hung on EVERY word of a sermon before. Closest thing I'll get is the Celtic Faire here next month.

10:21 PM  
Blogger "M" said...

Edinburgh is one of my favorite places. You really covered all the reasons I enjoyed it. Loved the people and the stories. Took the same tour twice with two different people just to hear what was said. Thanks for letting me remember such a great vacation.

4:25 AM  
Blogger comingaroundagain said...

Ooohhh, I want to be there too!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Jessi said...

Alright, everytime I check in here I turn a deeper shade of green.

Sounds amazing. Though I think you could make a trip to the local landfill sound amazing.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Was Pam the one that got the comment about wearing the wee thing?
Grew up with the bagpipes and they still give me the goosebumps. Reminds me of a time long ago. Tried to get T to wear a kilt for the wedding, but rethought it after making myself truly visualize it (0:

1:08 AM  
Blogger "M2" said...

I love Scotland too, just beautiful. We were so inspired we hired pipers for our wedding. They were very very loud in the church, but quite memorable.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotland is my very favorite place, and the Hebrides and upper, upper reaches of the Highlands are my favorite parts of Scotland. I've been there more than any other place abroad, but it's still at the top of my list for travel.

Oh, and I LOVE Haggis.

Thanks for sharing!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bagpipes make my cry too. I was once on a business trip in Switzerland and a huge parade started w/ men in kilts and bagpipes. I stood there and cried my eyes out. I had to walk away from my associates and bawl. It overcomes me and I have no idea why. It wells up and slam. Just like you wrote. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home