Sunday, June 03, 2007

Barcelona - Girona

We went to Spain with Floyd's folks several weeks ago and we had a wonderful time. I want to post about the trip because going through the photos and writing about our experiences, the process of blogging essentially, is a great way of remembering all of these places that we've been traveling to. It's sort of like a weird public scrapbook. So, until I get it together enough to make a real, flippin' through the pages kind of scrapbook of our travels (i.e., never), this is important. But the Spain trip was BT (Before Thor) and, obviously, a lot has happened since then and I'm having a hard time remembering what the hell we did. My head is full of other stuff. So, this time we're doing away with the whole "Top Five Fave" thing (did I just hear somebody mutter "praise the heavens"?) and we're just going to look at some pictures.

You may notice a bit of a theme...

First, we had to light a candle for the restoration of our home in the Chapel of the Holy Mother of Happiness at the cathedral La Seu. The candle we lit is the one on the second level, to the right. I know...of all the things to light a candle for. We are selfish indeed.





In the courtyard at La Seu.












Gaudi's House and Museum at Parc Guell.
















I go cuckoo for beautiful tiles and Gaudi's home had some that I just wanted to snatch. It didn't help that we were planning the tile for the restoration back home. Hmm....Now if that guard would just look the other way....







Coveting this chair that I believe Gaudi designed. No, I did not sit in it. This is a chair that you don't need to sit in to appreciate.
















More Parc Guell. Refined yet organic.








The Hall of Columns at Parc Guell. And, if I'm cuckoo for gorgeous tiles, then I'm flippin' whacko for mosaics.



























Sagrada Familia...under construction. I loved the light in here.











Gaudi designed the columns to resemble tree trunks and limbs. It was like a forest cathedral. And see that scaffolding? Yea. Almost as impressive as the structure itself.













Sagrada Familia exterior. There's a lot going on here. Fantastical.















El pulpo at La Boqueria





...and his cousin on my plate.





Girona riverfront.












The Banys Arab (Arab Baths) in Girona, designed by Moorish craftsmen around the 13th century.





















This is along the walls of the old city (Girona). I liked how the limbs framed the window, which was also framed by the ivy, which then framed the greenery beyond. Kinda dorky...I know.









Girona street.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger kitchu said...

Oh my god... those pictures DO speak a thousand words!!!! Note to self: put Spain on list of countries to visit.

11:01 PM  
Blogger walternatives said...

I, too, like the frame within a frame within a frame etc. Not dorky at all, I'd say, unless of course we're both dorks. Since I'm also wacko for mosaic, it's starting to look that way...

11:39 PM  
Blogger 4D said...

Those are amazing!

Keep smilin!

12:53 AM  
Blogger Mamacita said...

Spectacular, as always!

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing... and I must be a dork too. The "forest cathedral" - wow!

1:49 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Gorgeous photos!!!!

5:42 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Wow! What beautiful pictures!!!

7:10 AM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

Beautyful! That chair is amazing...it looks as though it may come to life if you sit in it. Can't wait to see the tile you pick for your kitchen!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home