Thursday, April 19, 2007

An Amazing Day

I just need to document this day. This amazing day. Right now my heart feels lighter and I feel an optimism and a joy that I haven’t experienced in a good long while. So long, in fact, that they feel kind of strange to me. Almost like trying on clothes at the Bins (where clothes are brought to "display" with a backhoe and you buy them by the pound) where you just found this cool blouse but, good Lord, you don’t even want to know where its been. You look great in it, but, hmmmm... That kind of strange.

So, yes, optimism and joy. And why, pray tell, would I be feeling this way? Well, a couple of reasons...

After waiting two long weeks (well, six months actually), we finally received our first check to rebuild our home. I think I mentioned before that our (almost thoroughly incompetent) mortgage company originally mailed the check to our charred wreckage of a home back in the States. Whatever. And then it took them for-fekkin’-ever to get their act together to then send the check to us over here. Meanwhile, our contractor can’t start because, well, it takes a lot of money to rebuild a house. But today, oh blessed of days, the check arrived.

We live behind a locked gate so it’s always a hassle when packages come. They’ll ring when they get to the gate and you have to go up and meet them. If it’s an important package I’ll usually stay at home to wait for it but, really, how lame is that? Now this would, indeed, qualify as a very important package, but I had my first piano lesson in a while (and I had actually been practicing) so I didn’t want to miss it. ANYhoo....I’m sitting at the piano at my teacher’s house, a few minutes away from my house, and the mobile rings. The conversation goes something like this...

Me: "Hello."
FedEx Guy: "Ehh...FedEx here."
Me: "Great! Where’re ya at?"
FedEx Guy: "The gate."
Me: "Ok, Ok (panicking)....I’ll be there in.....12 minutes!"
FedEx Guy: "...and I’ll be gone."
Me: "Gah!!! But I desperately need the package that you have for me (I’m now packing up my lesson supplies and running out the door)...please...can you wait just a few minutes...I’ll be right there."
FedEx Guy: ".....nah....I’m fekkin’ lajughehsghegfrsedj....."(something in a really strong Irish accent)
Me: "Pardon?"
FedEx Guy: "...yea...I’m up to me neck. I can’t wait for ye."
Me: "Then tell me where ye'll be...I’ll come to ye...I’ll meet ye in fekkin’ Dublin if I have to...."

And, amazingly, we worked it out. We did the deal in a parking lot. I picked up Floyd at work, we met “your man” in the parking lot, we signed the check, then we packaged it back up in another FedEx envelope and sent it back over the water to our bank back home. Efficient eh? Now we only have another, ohhhh, I’d say 6 or 7 checks to do that with before we’re finished rebuilding the house. My nerves should be pretty well toasted by then. But today I am happy. It’s been almost six months since the fire and today...we can start to put her back together again.

And if that wasn’t good enough....

I’ve been kind of freaking out about this whole adoption thing. Oh yea...remember that? We’re adopting a wee one from China. Well, I don’t talk about it that much these days because there just hasn’t been a lot of good news on that front. The wait just seems to get longer and longer and the process seems to be getting less and less reliable. It’s like if you’re at the grocery store and you’re ready to check-out (and, no, I’m not comparing our future child to a head of lettuce....don’t be silly) and you survey the lines at the check stands....hmmmm....and you pick one. And you’re standin’ in it...and you realize that it’s not moving very quickly. In fact, the other lines seem to be moving much faster. And, hey! Those people got in line after you and now they’re walking out with their groceries!....and you’re still in line. And then you look ahead in your line to see the checker and the customer arguing...the checker isn’t happy with the customer...the customer starts to beg and plead...he’s sobbing...but the checker gruffly sends him away.....without his groceries. God. How devastating. It must suck to be that guy. But, wait. The checker might not like you either. What if he yells at you and sends you home without your groceries? And as you continue standing in line, you watch other people go through their lines....much faster....and go walking out with their lovely bags of groceries. But you can’t move because you’re afraid. You're scared stiff actually. You've never wanted anything more than this bag of groceries and you're desperate. You’re afraid that if you jump lines then maybe everybody’ll jump lines and you’ll be too slow and you’ll wind up in the back of the line again....or maybe that checker will go on break and then that line’ll slow down too. Aarrrggghhhh! So you stay in the line that you’re in....and hope for the best.

Get the picture?

So I called a representative of our agency today and I was talking to her about their different programs (AKA the other lines) and we were discussing the wait times for those programs, etc. and she said something to the effect of, “...well, from a timing perspective, you wouldn’t want to switch into that program because you’ll be getting your referral from China in about six months...” Wuh? Could you repeat that please? Six months? At first I thought she was delusional. We’ve been hearing (from unofficial sources of course) that our wait could be two years and over, which would put our referral at least another year out. And she’s telling me 6 months? So I questioned her. And I questioned her some more. This woman has always been, in my eyes, a very honest and reliable source of information on International Adoption. Always. But six months? She indicated that, because of the new regulations going into place in May, the referral process would speed up significantly and that the wait times would not exceed 18 months. Hm. So I’m thinking....and I’m thinking...

You see, there are a lot of things about this that just don’t make sense, but talking about them would detract from my amazing day and I'm just not going to do that. Suffice it to say, a lot of things, indeed. But, you know what? I want to believe her. I really really REALLY want to believe her. I desperately want to believe her. So, you know what? I’m going to believe her. So, please, don’t rain on my parade. And DON’T shackle my high. Because, today, it feels like we’ll be meeting our little Thor before the winter solstice!!!!

So, shush, just give me this one, amazing, day...please....

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger 4D said...

Great stuff!! I am right there in line with ya, not changing for fear of losing my place and hoping that it speeds up. If only people would stop paying by cheque!

Keep smilin!

6:29 PM  
Blogger atomic mama said...

Hey, sounds good to me. Really! And big congrats on getting that cheque - can't wait to see the house rebuilding get started!

6:59 PM  
Blogger FDChief said...

Here's a glass to you and Thor and the lovely FedEx man and the restoration of your home here in suddenly sunny P-town.

Slainte'!

11:23 PM  
Blogger walternatives said...

Great news about your grand dame beginning to rise from the ashes. Enjoy your glorious day. Truly, truly, I hope you have an entire week of amazing days.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Beeb said...

oh god i want to believe her too!
I'm happy the check came and the building can begin.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Doris & Ez said...

Woo hoo! Good thoughts coming to you from Gautier, Mississippi! Wish we could be there to share your happy day. Talk to you soon. .

3:57 PM  
Blogger kitchu said...

I am raising a toast to the rebuilding of your home, the optimism in your agency (god I so hope they are right), and to standing in line with you...

Now, back to that piano young lady.
: o )

3:26 PM  
Blogger Jessi said...

So glad the rebuilding can begin! So glad it was a good day, hope all the days since have been just as good.

4:17 AM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

I want to believe her, too. Can I?

I'm still in the same line that I started in because I am afraid of the other checkers...they are looking at me and trying to tempt me and I am working my darnedest to avoid eye contact.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Anything is possible. You deserved a good day!!! Enjoy it!

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats onf getting the $$ I am sorry it took so long for that wait.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

Yeah, for getting the check.

I needed your post today, it's been a rough one and the news from your agency is good news! I'm going to believe, at least for now. :)

9:20 PM  
Blogger kitchu said...

I nominated your blog for the "thinking blog award", blogger is giving me so much trouble I didn't post rules, but in my comments click on Steffie B and her site has the rules.

Hope you're having a good week!

3:08 PM  
Blogger adele and dan said...

new to your blog. I was getting down too, and then by chance, I came upon you blog. Chance meeting, maybe not...something tells me your agency maybe on to something:)

2:35 AM  
Blogger aimeeg said...

I'm so glad you are having an amazing day! And congrats on finally getting the cheque! I love your translation of the heavy Irish accent!

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news on the check!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Mamacita said...

Oh, HONEY! I want to believe her too! Please GODDESS, let her be right!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My first time here posting, although I've lurked a few times. I had to delurk - you said fekking :)

Actually, I wanted to let you know that I believe your agency rep too. Yep, you and me, believers we are!

Be well,
Heather
www.diggingaholetochina.com

6:39 AM  
Blogger comingaroundagain said...

I love this post (I've come back to read it several times) . . .because I am a believer in the 18 month thing! :-)

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home